Stuffed Masala Idlis
In South Indian households, idli is a traditional breakfast. With the emigration of South Indians and Sri Lankans throughout the world, many variations of idli’s have been created in addition to the almost countless local variations. Hard-to-get ingredients and differing cooking customs have required changes in both ingredients and methods.
The cakes are usually made by steaming the batter, consisting of fermented lentils and beaten rice. But in this recipe, an instant batter is used and a spicy stuffing is immersed in the batter while steaming it.
Try this unique variation of idli.
For idli batter
- 1 cup roasted rava/semolina/Bombay rava
- 1 cup curd or yoghurt
- salt as per taste
- ½ tsp baking soda
- water as required
- or you can use normal idli batter or poha idli batter
- 3 medium potatoes – boiled
- 1 carrot- boiled
- Green peas- 100 grams- boiled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 green chillies, chopped fine
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- pinch of asafoetida
- Boil the potatoes, carrots and green peas. Keep them aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, crackle mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté well.
- Once done, add chopped chillies and chopped onions. Fry until they turn pinkish in colour.
- Add turmeric and mix it properly.
- Add mashed veggies to it and give a nice stir. Cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Add coriander to it and mix properly. Keep it aside to cool down.
- Make small gooseberry sized balls out of the mixture and flatten them. Keep it aside.
- In another large bowl add 1 cup of roasted rava.
- To that, add 1 cup of curd or yoghurt
- Add ¼ cup of water and mix it well.
- Bring the batter to a thick consistency by adding water if required.
- Soak the batter for 30 minutes.
- Once done, add ½ tsp of baking soda and give it a stir.
- Grease the Panasonic Ultimate Cooker’s idli plates and switch on the steamer with enough water.
- Pour 1 tbsp of idli batter into each impression.
- Place the flattened potato stuffing and pour again 1 tbsp idli batter to cover the filling.
- Stack up all the idli plates and steam for 10-12 minutes. Rest it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the idli’s from the idli plate and stand.
Serve this hot with coconut chutney. Enjoy!